When it comes to pressure sensitive packaging tape, there is a sea of options out there and deciding the best option for your application can sometimes be a daunting task. Many of you may succumb to “analysis paralysis” and go with the “vanilla” variety of the bunch – the 2” x 100 or 1,000 yards x 2 mil. This may be a perfect fit for many carton sealing applications, but one size certainly doesn’t fit all. So many variables such as storage, shipping, and handling methods can influence your carton sealing demands and needs. If you are shipping that Susie Talks A lot from your fulfillment center in Kansas City to someone’s niece in Fairbanks, Alaska or packaging that delicious Heinkel’s Smoked Turkey Breast in a carton and storing it in the refrigerator, you want to feel confident that your tape is going to stick and keep your product and carton secure through all of its travels.
Here are a few of the primary tape specifications to consider in your pressure sensitive tape selection process:
- 2” wide vs. 3” wide – When selecting the proper width of tape a couple of primary factors includes the surface area you will be covering and the weight of the package. The 3” width is a good choice when transitioning from using a more expensive and labor intensive water activated tape.
- Hand Length (55 or 110 yard rolls) used in manual pack stations vs. Machine Length (1,000 yards or more) for use in automated lines.
Your packaging, shipping, and storage environments will help determine the best type of adhesive for your carton sealing application:
- Hot Melt Carton Sealing Tapes – are made with high performance synthetic rubber/resin adhesives and very versatile in a wide range of packaging applications.
- Emulsion Acrylic Carton Sealing Tapes – are made with high quality emulsion acrylic adhesives for special packaging applications requiring extreme temperature performance.
- Solvent Acrylic Carton Sealing Tapes – are ultra-clear and feature a premium solvent-based acrylic adhesive system with excellent initial tack for those dusty packaging environments. They perform very well in extreme temperatures, making it an excellent choice for moisture & solvent resistance as well as resistance to aging, yellowing, and UV degradation.
- The thickness of tape is measured in mils. The total mil thickness is made up of the thickness of the film and the thickness of the adhesive. For example, Shurtape’s HP200 Hot Melt Carton Sealing tape has total mil thickness of 1.9. The film thickness makes up 1.2 mils of the total 1.9 mil thickness.
- Package weight, handling, and storage environments are key considerations when determining the thickness of tape. In many applications we have seen cases where the customer may be using a higher grade and total mil thickness of tape than what is needed for their particular application, so a thorough review of the packaging application is worth the time in possible money savings in the end.
- Many pressure sensitive carton sealing tape companies now offer the option of custom printing capabilities. If you would like to boost your brand, you have the option of having your company logo printed on the tape as well as any other custom print such as special handling messages.
In case you are beginning to feel your head start to spin a little, you aren’t alone! If you are interested in taking a closer look at your carton sealing tape requirements, R.V. Evans Company will be happy to assist. Helping you improve your packaging process is what we do best and frankly – – – we love it! Avoid the “analysis paralysis” and leave the work to us to determine a taping solution that will allow you to maximize throughput – saving you time, money, and labor. Click here to set up an in-plant consultation today!
To see more on the carton forming and closure solutions available from the R.V. Evans Company click here.
Connect with us on our information channels for new packaging & fastening system updates, tips, application solutions, and a little fun stuff too!
Facebook – Twitter – Linkedin – Google+
Connect with Eve on Google+